The Summer EDGE Fellows’ Program is a great opportunity to get more acquainted with the fabric of the business community in Northeast Ohio – including small, medium and larger companies. Each year participating EDGE Fellows rate their experiences very highly — often the best experience of their graduate studies — and they gain:
- Consulting and Marketing Experience as student teams work with business leaders to identify and validate new business opportunities and make recommended go-to-market action steps.
- Mentorship and Networking with the local business community, seasoned business mentors, and a network of EDGE Fellows that provide benefits well beyond the program.
- New Opportunities to pursue post graduation as students can learn about creating their own opportunities within companies.
- Broad Exposure to many different Northeast Ohio businesses (small, medium and large) in different industries, often including healthcare/medical devices, IT/logistics, manufacturing, chemicals/coatings, polymers, and innovative technology.
The two-month paid summer internship is a guided process that offers students the flexibility of working remotely and as part of a collaborative team. Successful EDGE Fellows develop a great working rapport with their research partner, host company contacts, business mentors, EDGE staff, and other EDGE Fellow teams. There is a lot of focus on conducting primary and secondary market research, getting out to meet and connect with industry professionals throughout the summer, and an increasing interest in data analytics. Access to reliable transportation is a must as there is some required driving throughout northeast Ohio.
Each EDGE Fellows class is made up of a select group of primarily graduate-level students from multiple disciplines, and students are paired to projects based on their background, experience, and expressed interest. Many opportunities will also be available throughout the summer for networking and personal/professional development, and it does not end once the summer is over. Many stay connected with EDGE and a network of EDGE Fellow alumni for years to come – particularly as they seek job opportunities and career advice.
**2016 Winner: “Coolest Internship” – NEO Intern & Cleveland Business Connects**
- “A bridge between academia and the real world (finally)! Great contacts around Northeast Ohio! And, most importantly, confidence in myself as a professional. I feel well equipped to graduate and navigate what is ahead of me.”
- “It’s hard work … overall, the experience (was) invaluable. This has been my best job so far. Ever. I would do it again in a heartbeat. I can’t say that about a lot of things I’ve done, but EDGE is one of the best things that’s happened to me.”
- “An excellent opportunity to (work) with a diverse, intelligent, and motivated group of people. It will enable you to develop your skills as a business person and will expose you to different ways to approach challenges. The program will aid you in connecting with the business environment of northeast Ohio and challenge you to solve pressing issues affecting area businesses.”
- “It is a great experience and helps you learn what you do or do not want to do in the future. … This is something I would not have been able to learn through classes. Also, there are so many connections through EDGE that will really help out in the future.”
- “The EDGE Fellowship is a unique opportunity to do and learn so much in the course of only two months. It’s a real hands-on experience where you have the opportunity to apply everything you have learned at school. Plus, you always feel that you can rely on experienced mentors to guide you in the process. That balance of having enough freedom to do your work with having enough guidance and mentorship from experienced EDGE staff and business mentors is very important!”
- “The EDGE Fellows experience was one of the most impactful experiences on both a personal and professional level. Meetings allowed me to leave with handfuls of new friends and see areas of Cleveland that I would have never known existed. The entire process was absolutely exceptional. My only regret is that it has come to an end.”
- “The EDGE program has helped me gain valuable skills that will make me extremely marketable to companies in the future. Not all internships sit you down and teach you basic business skills such as market analysis, interview techniques, etc. and allow you to put them into action. I also enjoyed developing professional and social relationships with the EDGE staff and Fellows.”
Interested in learning more? Read the Position Description or visit To Apply.
Also, check out The EDGE Fellows – Class of 2017 Biographies as well as EDGE Fellows – Objectives and Outline and a Summary of the 2017 Program.